Are you teaching the r-controlled vowel sounds, and looking for some open-ended assessment and/or r-controlled vowel worksheets to consolidate the different r-controlled vowel spellings? These brainstorm templates can be used as a record of student learning or class brainstorms, or are a fantastic open-ended assessment tool to assess what students have learnt at the end of a target phoneme focus.
Choose from a wide variety of activity options!
For each long vowel sound there are a variety of pages that include:
- 2 x differentiated worksheets- students break up the r-controlled vowel words into individual sounds, then draw the word or put it into a sentence. At the bottom of the worksheet, they write how many ways they know to represent that phoneme.
- Brainstorm words with each of the main spellings for the r-controlled vowel sounds
- List words with each of the main spellings for the r-controlled vowel sounds (includes an 'other' column where students can demonstrate their knowledge of less common spellings.
- Fun brainstorm pages with pictures related to each of the r-controlled vowel sounds
Differentiate your assessment!
The graphic organisers allow you to differentiate your assessing:
- Students requiring support may only fill out some of the columns or provide a couple of examples for each word.
- More capable students can demonstrate the extent of their knowledge by writing as many words as they can think of (rather than capping them by only testing them on a limited number of words) and/or showing extension representations.
- To further extend the assessment, block out the graphemes and get the students to fill that part in themselves.
R-controlled vowel sounds included:
Please note: this resource has been created from an Australian accent. There may be some variation with the 'ar' spelling (words such as 'bath' and 'past' are included as alternative spellings for 'ar') and the inclusion of 'eer' as a separate r-controlled vowel sound. For those with a US accent, simply pick and choose the pages that work best for you and your accent!